Visual Mold Inspection
This is the initial step in identifying possible mold hazards in the Atlanta home. An interview with the homeowner starts the process to identify all immediate concerns. All areas of the home are then inspected including crawlspaces, basements, exterior walls, and through all living spaces. Moisture meters and other equipment may be used in identifying conditions conducive to mold growth and other health hazards.
If mold is found or conditions conducive to mold are present, air sampling will be used to determine the type and amount of airborne particulates which are present in the home. Actual spore counts are key in determining the amount of the toxins you are breathing into your lungs every day. Both the inside and outside (control) air is sampled so that the results can be compared to see which types of mold spores are elevated inside the home and in what areas they are present.
Swab / Physical Samples
Tape or swab samples can be taken where the mold is visibly growing on a surface such as your walls or on the framing in your basement or crawlspace. This type of sampling is used to positively identify the mold types present.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How is someone exposed to mold ?
Anyone can be adversely affected by mold when inhaling the mold spores from the air, when the skin comes in contact with any mold growth growing on the homes surfaces, and eating without properly washing your hands after touching any mold affected items in your home.
- Can MOLD cause Health Problems?
Mold has the potential to cause any number of health problems and even make some homes unbearable to live in. Different people react differently to mold and different molds produce different reactions. Those with upper respiratory conditions such as asthma are particularly susceptible to the dangers of mold spores. Some molds produce allergens, irritants, and possibly potentially toxic chemical substances known as mycotoxins.
With exposure, even in small amounts, mold may cause:
- Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat or skin
- Mysterious skin rashes
- Sinus infections or congestions / sinusitis (runny nose)
- Respiratory problems (sneezing and coughing)
- Upper or lower respiratory infections
- Frequent headaches
- Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression
- Chronic aches and pains
- Digestive problems
- Where is MOLD found in your Atlanta home?
Mold can be found in multiple areas of the home. It appears most often in moist areas as little black or colorful circles or thread-like white objects. You will normally smell a musty odor in the area of mold growth. Mold replicates by means of microscopic spores: the spores are invisible to people and are airborne throughout the indoor and outdoor air. Most mold grows indoors when these spores come to rest on areas that are wet or damp. Mold requires high humidity and moisture levels in order to thrive.. As a result, it is extremely important to dry all water affected areas and surfaces within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. It is equally if not more important to stop the initial source of water into the area which was conducive to the mold growth in the first place.
Areas where mold can be found in your home include but are definitely not limited to:
- Basements, kitchens (bottom of fridge)
- Around bathroom vanities, washer / dryer area
- The underside of carpets and pads
- The surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms)
- Ceilings and top side of ceiling tiles
- Front and back side of drywall, wall paper or paneling
- Inside HVAC systems and duct work
Questions? Ask Here
- “Very informative. He did give me a very thorough verbal report offered to give me the written report, but it was turning out to be very involved. He also was very patient with my input. They were very professional, but down to earth”
- “Great job!! checked on things I had never thought of. Highly recommend Total home consultants.”
- “With a detailed report with full color photos in hand to knowledgeable and thorough advice, I was confident I knew what I was buying thanks to Mike and the Total Home Consultants! ”
- “Ken was very professional and informative. He was on time, actually a few minutes early. I was both called and emailed promptly and the follow up was good. I’d definitely recommend Total Home as well use them again”
- “Total Home was truly professional to the 10th power! There aren’t enough words to describe my experience with Total home consultants. From beginning to end, my inspection was treated like a top priority. They inspected every aspect of my new home and found things that most inspectors probably would have missed. Having this information in my hands prior to my builder walk-thru, helped me point out things that would have been missed. I would definitely recommend Total home consultants. And, if/when I purchase a new home, they will be at the top of my list to call”